It's been a few years since I "enjoyed" writing code to mangle Microsoft Office documents, but I've been getting back into such things at work lately. My team and I had lots of fun yesterday tracking down the source of a bug in POI which led to Excel mangling comments when the file was saved. Frankly, I wasn't sure to be delighted or disgusted that the "fix" was changing an ID value in the XML output. Yes, it would seem that a so-called arbitrary identifier has significance to Excel beyond cross-referencing elements in the same file, and using the same not-so-arbitrary identifier written by Excel itself dissuades it from trashing the file on save.
You May Also Enjoy
This post is here for Google and as a reminder to myself.
Rebuilding all our virtual servers onto new hosting has been an educational experience, and as you might expect, very different to the first time round in 20...
After more than a decade renting a dedicated server from Bytemark, my friends and I have decided to move on.
I’ve used Wordpress ever since I set this blog up in 2007. For the most part, it worked and stayed out of my way.